Widely regarded as among the foremost experts in the National Capital
Area on care options for seniors, Alan has extensive experience in the
rehabilitation and long term care field during which he has developed a wealth
of knowledge on who goes where and what resources are available to cover care
costs. He has designed healthcare informational programs used by both healthcare
providers as outreach and marketing tools, and for non-profit organizations for
major national initiatives.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE * EDUCATION * PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
SELECTED ACCOMPLISHMENTS * SAMPLE PROJECTS
Versatile marketing professional and manager with over
twenty years of broad-based experience ... excellent analytical, communication
and leadership skills ... internet & systems proficient ... experienced in all
facets of marketing including creative development, communications, research,
strategy and implementation ... elected Chairman of city Consumer Affairs
Commission ... broad background includes playing professional baseball and
acting as a TV sports anchor/radio announcer ... M.B.A. from University
of Miami; A.B. from Vassar College ... Certified Retirement Counselor ... a reliable leader and team player who can
make a meaningful contribution to your organization.
CAPITAL HEALTH SOLUTIONS (2003 - present)
DIRECT client services for marketing and strategic planning consultation firm specializing in the healthcare industry.
HCR MANORCARE (2002 - 2003)
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
RESPONSIBLE for income generating functions for mid-Atlantic regional offices of large national health services organization. Hired, trained and supervised all clinical liaison and community education team members. Sat on corporate management committee to set growth strategies. Implement growth strategies within the region.
• Designed educational programs on long term care issues used as inservices by numerous nursing homes
• Developed marketing plan and led team that sold out all available services within first 90 days on job
• Took over region that was below budget at beginning of fourth quarter and finished year at 111% of budgeted revenue
WOODBINE REHABILITATION & HEALTHCARE CENTER (1998 - 2002)
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY AFFAIRS
MANAGED all external affairs for area's largest healthcare center. Coordinated strategy and efforts of direct marketing team. Planned and supervised implementation of special events and community programs. Oversaw corporate communications, social services, physician relations and customer satisfaction. Generated media coverage. Represented facility in all public forums
• Hosted national presentation on nursing home quality featuring the Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services
• Created and led several popular panel educational symposiums on long term care issues
• Conceived and implemented brand marketing plan that generated a wide reputation as the area's premier facility for rehabilitation and complex care
• Responsible for 30 bed increase from census at hire to peak census during tenure
• Increased average monthly admissions by 50%
• Completely redesigned web site and internet marketing strategy still in use by company
• Wrote and produced acclaimed video "tour" of facility
• ACHIEVED M.B.A. degree while playing four seasons of professional baseball, including a major league spring training with the Atlanta Braves.
• CHOSEN by major party as nominee for state senate.
• LECTURED on healthcare and business related subjects at Catholic University, Briarcliffe College, The Learning Annex, Howard University, Loyola Academy and other institutions.
• REPRESENTED a major record label at the age of 19 as assistant national promotion director.
• National Association of Retirement Counselors (President)
• City of Alexandria Consumer Affairs Commission (Past Chairman)
• Alexandria Chamber of Commerce (Recruitment Chair, Member Outreach Team)
• American Red Cross, Alexandria Chapter (Board of Directors, Emeritus)
• Agenda:Alexandria (Chair)
• Arlington Steering Committee for Services to Older Persons (Co-Chair)
• Capital Area Health Communicators
• Alzheimer's Association of the National Capital Area (Past Memory Walk Chair)
• National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers
• GROWS - Grass Roots Organization for the Well Being of Seniors
M.B.A., Marketing, University of Miami
A.B., Liberal Arts (Drama/Psychology), Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York
Leon Friend Scholar (Advertising/Design), Brooklyn Museum Art School, Brooklyn, NY
Fairfax, VA 2007
Implemented brand and service programs for a start-up residential assisted living that filled all licensed beds in under 45 days.
Woodbridge, VA 2006
Created branding and business development program for a non-medical home care agency that had previously failed to gain traction in the marketplace; building census to over 100 in first nine months of program.
Washington, DC 2005
Led team that produced all materials and programs for AARP's education and outreach campaigns on the new Medicare Prescription Drug Program.
Chicago, IL 2005
Designed educational and outreach programs, including a major national exposition, for a health care technology trade association, to engage ambulatory care practices in the use of electronic health records and other care technology
Falls Church, VA 2004
Devised business operations and referral development plan for home nursing agency that took patient census from 15 to 50 in 60 days by rebuilding reputation damaged by previous owners and designing targeted service programs to open new referral relationships. Follow-up plan then doubled census during the next year.
McLean, VA 2004
Developed business strategy and healthcare provider relations for telemedicine company serving both the federal government and private sector health care providers. Directed adaptation of company's existing technology for use in long term care.
Alexandria, VA 2003
Engaged by new corporate ownership of Continuing Care Retirement Community to reconfigure building to match marketplace demand. Reorganized sales process, setting procedures and measurement tools. Sold out assisted living and reduced nursing bed vacancies by half within a 45 day period.
CALL TODAY FOR A FREE NEEDS ASSESSMENT CONSULTATION